Wednesday, June 20, 2012

It Should Probably Be Mentioned...

I get the question a lot--sometimes from people I know, sometimes from strangers--"what are your fitness goals?"

(Or, from the guy at the beach last Saturday, "You work out, don't you?  'Cause it looks like you work out.")

I, um...

The answer is pretty dark and pretty hopeful.

I'm a survivor (to date) of hypothyroidism, Crohn's, and high cholesterol who can't afford her prescriptions.  Any food I eat will cause me to gain weight, regardless of whether it's cheesecake or spinach, and I am tired enough to sleep like a brick for twenty hours a day.

My fitness goals?  To see the ocean five days a week by my own power.  To not succumb to a sleep for more hours than I am awake.  (Balance, balance...)  To not lose my lunch.  To not have a heart attack.

Or, more succinctly:  My fitness goal is to stay alive.

I'm still here.  There's still this:
Which I see five days a week, despite fatigue, more and more swarming bees, and motorists on their cell phones on the roads with no sidewalks that I have to take to get to see what you see above.

My fitness goal is to stay alive.

So far, so good.  :)

No comments: